Wednesday, February 25, 2009

sleep baby sleep

One of my favorite things to do is watch my baby sleep. I love listening to her breathe, off in dreamland while snuggling with her favorite blankie. The monitor we have for her room has a camera on it. I love being able to look in on her without really looking in.

Every night before I turn in for bed I like to go in and check on her one last time. I usually cover her up again and lay her bink (pacifier) close by in case she needs it. I'll tell her I love her and then slip back out. Now there are some nights when looking at her isn't enough and I will pick her up and snuggle with her sometimes sitting on the floor while singing. I seriously can't get enough. Most nights she doesn't know I'm there. Then there are some nights she stretches and opens her eyes, giving me a smile. She's told me bye-bye, asked for a kiss, she says Dada and Mama then closes her eyes, rolls over, and falls back to sleep. I have never seen her talk in her sleep or heard it on the monitor. That was not until the other night.

I walked in looked over the crib and with her bink hanging out of her mouth she says, Elmo. Her eyes never opened she didn't move at all. Just whispered Elmo. I like to think they were on some magical adventure and he was teaching her to count and say her ABC's.

I wasn't really surprised that she was saying Elmo in her sleep, she has recently taken a liking (more like loving) to Elmo. She wakes up saying his name and repeats it many times throughout the day. She hands me the remote and says Elmo. Like an order. Insisting that he be turned on.

I was sad though knowing that something other than her mom or dad was taking up space in her dreams.

Maybe tonight will be my turn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwh! I'm going to believe that its truly Elmo Miss Livi is dreaming of...and not NiGHTMARES of "Dada's version of Elmo"!! (Hunter tells me things!!)LOL Love you!

Chrissy said...

I used to do the same thing with Claire. I never actually picked her up because she was NOT a sleeper so I wasn't taking a chance! But I recall sitting by her crib and praying. It's something about those little girls and their mommas. I am so thankful that my niece has such a wonderful momma! Thank you. Oh and the dream, at least it's Elmo and not screaming coffee!!!

Anonymous said...

Grammy think's you are a very special Mommy!! I shed tears at how beautiful you write in talking about your little girl.She is so pretty, and I remember watching my own little one's while they slept.God's creation's!! Think of you often!!