Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mom

Today is a very special day. It's my mother's birthday. 58 years ago today Ward and Dorothy Williams held Carolyn Jane in their arms. I've never met anyone quite like my mother. She's smart, funny, kind, loving, always puts others before herself, loves unconditionally, and many more but you get my point. Growing up I didn't notice or appreciate all the things that special woman I call mom did for me and her family. Don't get me wrong I loved her and respected her. I just didn't know or understand that everything she did was out of love. I wouldn't understand that until I had a child of my own. I consider myself lucky because I have both a mom and dad who are still happily married after 38 years. I grew-up in a loving household. Had three meals a day, wore clean clothes to school, and didn't want for or need anything that I didn't have. My mother made sure of those things. She woke up each and every morning and made us breakfast. Packed our school lunches or made sure we had the money to buy them if we wanted to and every night she would fix us dinner. She always did without so that we could have. Once I was of driving age and staying out later she would wait up for me to come home. There were many weekend nights I would come home and find her on the couch half asleep half awake waiting for me with the phone right next to her. I have so many memories of growing up and my mother being right there next to me. She was at every softball and basketball game, every choir concert and went on the choir trips with me. She helped me move into my first apartment, and then my first house. She was there for me when I called off my first wedding and supported me with that decision. She welcomed me back into her home after that. She was there when I told her I had met a really nice guy and I saw a future with him. She was there with tears in her eyes when my daughter was born and there again when I married that little girls daddy. She has always been there for me and I know she always will be. Happy Birthday Mom! I love you.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Happy Birthday Carolyn! Ashley, you are blessed indeed!

rosalita111 said...

This is beautiful Ashley, I couldn't have said it better myself.