Thursday, April 2, 2009

exciting things are afoot

It's all happening so fast. I've been praying for it. Praying for something to happen. Something needed to happen. Jarad loves his job. He really does. He loves talking about promotional products and will talk about them all day to me if I will let him. He loves his employer and everyone that works there. He loves his customers. The problem with loving a job so much is, its sometimes hard to know if that is where you really need to be.

Here lately though we've been talking. Talking about what we want and how are we going to get there. I suggested that I could go back to work. (Not that I really want to go back to work, I love my work here at home with my little girl but if we needed me to then I would.) Jarad really didn't have much to say about that, to me anyway. I was told by his mom that he mentioned to her that he really doesn't want me to work. Such a nice man.

Still something needed to happen. Bills are being paid, diapers are being bought, clothes are being worn, and food is being ate. Saving though? Nothing was being saved. I like saving. Having a little put back for something special.

Now it hasn't always been like this. Just this year. Gas prices went up and now back down. Groceries have gone up and well, we are in a recession. Therefore, promotional products really aren't being bought, at least not like they have been. Companies are cutting back. There is still a need just not as big as there used to be.

Meanwhile, my father-in-law's company is thriving. Getting bigger and bigger everyday. New accounts are being picked up and finally his lifetime of (really, really) hard work is paying off. The only problem, he NEEDS help.

I had asked Jarad why he doesn't just work for his dad. He has worked for him before, in the warehouse, drove a route, ran one of the bookstores and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. He would just say, "dad doesn't want me in the magazine business". Well that was then and this is now. Then they weren't as busy, then it was unpredictable, then he didn't need help.

But now? Now is the time. So I am extremely excited and very pleased to announce that Jarad is going to work for his dad!!!! It all happened so fast too. Fast like within a day. And the only people that knew were me, Jarad, his mom and dad. I found myself giggling with excitement just waiting to announce the big news.

Since he is an independent contractor for Yates Promotions he can still sell for them! He has some clients that he will keep and continue to sell to. He just won't be doing all the other stuff there. His hours at Ozark News will allow him to have meetings in the afternoon. And frankly if anyone can have two jobs that will require what these two will its Jarad. He's always been a hard worker and sadly I think he enjoys it.

I can't help but feel a little guilty though. I want him to be happy in whatever he is doing. After all he is the one getting up and going to work to provide for our family. I've been asking him everyday if this is really what he wants to do. He always says yes. I asked him yesterday if he was really sure this is what he wants, his reply, "I'd be happy driving a garbage truck if it was alongside my dad." Funny 'cause I'm pretty sure his dad feels the same way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grammy is so excited!!! Just as it should be,Amen,Amen!!Father and son together,helping each other!!! Ashley I am so proud of you too! My Alivia get's prettier with every picture!! Love you all!!





















1

Nanny said...

It is SO exciting! I have prayed also! I know Chrissy has too! God is blessing our family EVERY day! Let's keep the faith!

Chrissy said...

Yahoo! Another prayer moved on over to my praise list! Tell Jarad if he does decided to drive a trash truck with dad, they would move up to superhero status with Cohen. I know, not exactly the point of the post, but Cohen really wants to be a garbage man when he grows up. I love you guys to itty bitty little pieces.