Wednesday, April 29, 2009

rockin' robin

For three weeks we have had a "friend" in our backyard. He has been waking me up every morning usually around 6 o'clock (if you know me I don't do 6 o'clock unless there is a screaming baby involved) and then hangs out for the rest of the day. Who is this "friend" you ask?

A robin. A really annoying, strong willed, some would say stupid, robin.

Three weeks ago I was sitting on the couch in the living room and heard a bird hit the window in the dining room. I laughed and thought silly bird can't you see there's a window there! Then he did it again. So I walked over to the window and noticed he had been doing this for awhile. I say that because there are little bird prints all over the top of the window. He continued to do this for the rest of the day.

When I went to bed that night I had forgotten about the silly bird. The next morning though I remembered him, he was back.

Now he had moved to the back door. He would hit the door then hit the window again. Over and over all day long.

This bird wanted in my house and he was not leaving. My sister was over one day and she and her kids also witnessed it.

A week went by. Jarad and I would just laugh. We couldn't figure out what he wanted and why he kept hitting our windows.

Then one morning a week after he hit the window in the dining room the bird went to far. He started hitting our bedroom window. He even got really good and would fly up, hold on to the screen, and then fly up to the top of the window and just start pecking. Every morning pecking. I got pretty good too. When he would land on the screen I would hit the window, causing him to fly off. Thinking to myself, I'll show you bird.

Jarad put some bird seed out, hoping that he would eat that and leave. Not so much.

We seriously didn't know what to do. This bird was driving me crazy hitting and pecking all day long. I wanted him gone, away from my house.

This had been going on for almost three weeks. So one night before I went to bed I prayed (like I do every night). Only on this night I prayed to God to please take the bird away. Show him some other place to fly. Although I thought it was silly to pray for a bird to leave my house alone I did it anyway. I didn't know what else to do. And guess what? That next morning I woke up at 7:30 to the sound of my daughters music playing softly in the baby monitor and the sweet sound of her breathing in and out.

No bird in sight. And he hasn't been back since.

I think it was a wake-up call from God. Reminding me that nothing is too big or too small for Him. Not even a annoying, strong willed, silly bird.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I adore you! Isn't it amazing how God provides...even the "little stuff."

Nanny said...

I just read your post to your father-in-law and he wants you to know that he loves you and you are his FAVORITE daughter(in-law)! We so love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ashley, Grammy love's the way you write!! God is so ever present for us anytime and for anything that we need him for.You are a very special person in our family.Kiss little Livi from her Great-Grammy and also give one to my grandson!!!! Lot's of love to you!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your blog name...you have a great blog. I enjoyed reading your blog today.
I am still finding my way around blogland....
I always love making new friends..

I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by.
Each comment enters you for the June giveaway.